Saturday, February 7, 2009

Answer: Yes it is.

Well, apparently it's normal.



I went to the gym this morning, a bit nervous that my sketchy looking vain was going to explode in the middle of a set of crunches or something. According to my trainer though, I am not going to die, as I once thought. 

My lovely trainer, David, explained to me that sometimes when a needle is inserted, it goes in jagged (yummy) and when it is taken out, you bleed a little - often into your own arm, underneath the skin. This is apparently called a hematoma and I am sure you probably didn't want to know any of this. But this is my blog, and the hematoma is the topic of the day. 

I learned something. Now you will too. Fair trade off.

Now. I was able to endure the workout (to some degree... we'll see how I feel in the morning), and my arm did not explode. During my warmup on the treadmill, my trainer (who is also a body builder), told me a story about how he went to get blood drawn for whatever reason, and he tried to explain to the nurse that, due to his massive arm muscles, a needle used for "regular" patients would not work for him. She didn't listen, put the needle in his arm and told him to flex. 

At which point, the needle went shooting out of his arm and across the room.

Fun.

Well, I didn't die. And I apparently won't die. At least not because of this particular hematoma.

I dedicate this blog entry to David the Trainer, who advised me as such, and promised I wouldn't bite it on the elliptical. 

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha you crack me up, JCD. Wow. Sounds pretty nasty. I love the image of the needle shooting out of your trainer's arm back at the nurse who blew him off ;) ha! crazy.

    Mostly, glad you're okay even if the appearance of things makes you nervous. And way to go to a trainer! haha ;)

    ReplyDelete