
It's turned in to the 25 Random Things of Valentine's day.
I wasn't turned on to the "Valentine's Day in Six Words" phenomenon until today, the day before the "big" day. And, in my eyes, one of the most annoying days of the year.
Admittedly, I'm biased. I have nearly zero fond memories of this... holiday... over the years. High school (yes, even an all-girls Episcopal school) presented numerous pressures to confront the whole thing - carnations in the mailbox (or lack thereof), boyfriends showering girlfriends with gifts in the hallways... it just wasn't fun.
It doesn't get better as an adult, with people getting massive packages of flowers and chocolate at work all over the place. I walked into the grocery store tonight and (literally) walked smack into a heart-shaped balloon twice the size of my head. The check-out line nearly gave me a panic attack and all I wanted was some oreos. I'm still nauseous.
Sitting outside my door when I get home is the Washington Post, which today features a large spread on Valentine's day. How fun.
So I get in the door and open it up out of curiosity, to find an article about this Six Words fad that's been floating around the last few days. I read a few, and some of them were pretty good.
Peep.
"40 years married. 40 more please!"
"I. Hate. Valentine's. Day. So. Stupid."
"Breast cancer diagnosis. Then he left."
"Some things are colder than winter."
Some of these were pretty deep. So I thought about it. What do I think about Valentine's day at the ripe age of 26? I'm still young but I've been through some stuff, as we all have, and continue to. I also thought about what my sentiments would have been at different points in my life. I guarantee you had VERY different thoughts about Valentine's day 15 years ago.
As an English major, I know how difficult it is to narrow your thoughts down into the fewest words possible (an actually assignment I had in college once). It's natural for people to put as many words into a statement when they have something to say. But it's so much harder to simplify something so complex.
That said, I love a challenge.
So, as I sit here waiting for the nausea to burn of and the next episode of What Not To Wear to come on, Valentine's Day, over the years, in its simplest form.
"Can I watch Sesame Street now?" (1988)
"Met a boy. I'm in love." (1995)
"I just want to be liked." (1996)
"Everyone's got a carnation. Where's mine?" (1998)
"I want him. He wants her." (2003)
"Friends - the only love I need." (2005)
"He's gone. Time to let go." (2006)
"It's snowing. I need a drink." (2007)
"Wanna do something on Sunday?" "No." (2009)
Great stuff!! I definitely can relate to how things change over the years. I too, am not a fan of the over commercialization and nonsense, but I will try my luck at 6 words:
ReplyDelete2005: "I found him but lost myself."
2006: "At least the sex was good."
2007: "Better to have loved. Moving on."
2008: "Unfortunately, sharing is not always caring."
2009: "My heart is my strongest muscle."
well, i'm here...i hope you don't give up on Mr. 2009, i know he screwed up, but i kinda have a good feeling about him?
ReplyDeletethis year (again) i have no valentine...but I'm strangely content. i will be dating MYSELF all day today, beginning with watching Breakfast at Tiffany's while eating pancakes...in bed, then maybe a little window shopping in SoHo, culminating in an opportunity to simultaneously catch up on the latest Wiggles and make enough money to buy groceries for the week. maybe i'll even pick up a bottle of moscato and a piece of chocolate on the way home.
the older i get, the dumber i realize this holiday is. why pick only one day out of the year to treat someone right and buy them nice things? i think like u said about your coworker, its the gifts and attention people receive that irks us. i DO hate this, but im pretty sure i'd hate it just as much if it happened on Feb. 17 as I do when it happens on Feb. 14.
(1989) love? Please. I just want candy.
(1999) I got a rose!!...thanks, dad.
(2001)I’m graduating soon. Gotta tell him.
(2005)love? Please. I just want sex.
(2008)must we fight? Its valentines day.
(2009) sure, I’m available to babysit tonight.