Wednesday, January 28, 2009

And finally... the Ignorance of the Day.

It was only a matter of time, dear reader, before something went down so completely ridiculous, it was blog-worthy. It's happened. Whether you think it's ignorant or not is up to you, but I've already decided that I hate it.



Anyone in the DC region (hell, pretty much the whole east coast) knows about the nasty weather the last two days. It was only a matter of time, but clearly the city wasn't ready.



Whatever the verdict of the Feds, I had already planned to leave the house for a training session away from work. Unless we were buried in a foot of snow, I was going. We had already determined, as a group, that we would start the session late if the weather was bad, so I had planned to roll in around 10.



I walk down to the Bethesda metro to find a bunch of people standing outside the hotel adjacent to the metro station and at least 10 to 15 emergency vehicles surrounding it. I thought "damn, sucks for them" and kept it moving down to the metro station to get my train without really a second thought.






I'm sort of jogging down the long escalator to the train as usual, and about seven or eight steps from the bottom, a metro employee walks over to the escalator, turns a knob, and shuts the damn thing down while I'm mid-stride.





"STATION'S CLOSED."



Hey, here's a thought. Maybe next time you shut down a metro station, you stop people at the TOP from going down first and let the people ON the escalator get to the bottom and send them back up. Then again, sending defenseless escalator riders tumbling down the steps works too. Whatever makes your day, you turd.



So I trek back up the escalator and proceed to walk all the way back pass my apartment building to the station before Bethesda to Medical Center - only to come back SOUTH to get downtown.



And as we ride by the Bethesda station on the way down, the greatest gift of all - a freshly reopened metro station, free of smoke or fire or whatever the hell was going down when they sent me away.


To the Metro Nazi, I can only say, God BLESS your stinky metro escalator operating behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment