My ipod, whether I like it or not, has become a central part of my existence, and a critical part of my daily routine. When I'm on the metro, I can zone out and make the ride go a little faster, and when I drag my arse up and go to the gym, I have something to jog to.
Music itself is pretty central, whether its coming from my ipod or something else. Maybe I have some sort of anxiety about silence, but I find that if I don't have a TV on somewhere or am obligated by social mores to shut the hell up, I always have music going. (It's probably a compusive disorder.)
So when the dern thing started acting up on Monday, I got a little flustered. At first I thought it was just a bad set of headphones, so I got a new pair on Tuesday. Same problem. Blasting in my left ear, silent in my right. Lopsidedness at its finest.
By last night, I'd had enough. Thanks to a good suggestion from a friend, I decided to go to the Apple store in Bethesda to have them take a look. It was raining like crazy and had been all day, and while I would've much rather curled up with a bowl of mac and cheese, I sucked it up and went down there. Long story short, I walk in there and put on my desparate hat and essentially plead with some guy in a goofy orange shirt and an earpiece to help me. He looks at the device, clicks it on and off a few times, which, I remind him, is pointless because the audio is the problem. So he says to me in his best Lumberg impression,"ummmmmm.... yeeeeeeaaaah you're going to have to make an appointment with one of our Geniuses." Um, excuse me? So I have to make an appointment with a "Genius" for him/her to tell me what I already know? Two years ago I walked in there with an issue and walked out ten minutes later with a new, functional ipod. When did Apple become THAT cool that I have to make a reservation to have some nerd look at a piece of hardware?
Nonetheless, I have a reservation for Friday at 6:45 and am ipodless and sulking until then.
No comments:
Post a Comment